… or was it in reality more of a brainfart???! Well, let me put it this way: This afternoon, I walked through our garden, checking on our plants, and there was a flower, I haven’t seen in our yard before. I did some research, and couldn’t find anything. So, I asked in a Facebook group for identification. And once I’ve got the ID of this little plant, it dawned on me that I planted exactly these bulbs in early December 2018. I guess, I had one of these “I’m getting old!”-moments again. 😀 But at least, now I know what blooms in our flower bed in the backyard. 😉 This Grecian windflower looks gorgeous.
In the beginning of the month, we experienced a few frosty nights in North Texas. I had to cover the salads and vegetables with a good layer of straw and put the branches of our Christmas tree on top of it. Now, the temperatures are in the high 60s/70s during the days, while we still experience low 40s to mid 50s at night. It’s the perfect weather for our cold season crop to grow, before it will get too warm. The Iceberg and Romaine lettuces have been grown quite a bit. The spinach is deep green. And the broccoli shows tiny heads. Kevin, Katelynn, Sara and I can’t wait to dig into fresh salads in a couple to a few weeks. We pick some leaves, already. 😉
Every day, I worked on the first bed a little bit in the evenings. Yesterday, I finally got it done. First I built the wall from cinder blocks, I had sitting in the garden. After the wall was in place, I filled the bed with compost, soil, and topped it off with some mulch. I dug big holes for the tomato plants. But before I planted them, I dropped more compost, corn meal, Epsom salt, expanded shale, and worm casting in the holes. Then I picked off the bottom three tomato branches and sat the tomatoes deep in the bed. That way, the plants can produce more roots, which can get more water and nutrition from the soil. Next to the tomatoes, I planted some marigolds to keep the Tomato Hornworm under control. Last year, I had one eating half of my tomato plant in one night. They are pretty looking caterpillars. But they are evil little boogers. The bottom cinder blocks, I filled in with old mulch. I wanted to save on the soil. Usually herbs don’t need deep soil to grow well. Now, we also have lavender, strawberries, orange mint, basil, lemon thyme, parsley, and dill. The parsley and the dill will be for swallowtail caterpillars in Summer. I’m glad, I’ve got this bed done before the rain storm came in.
Sara came home from school and walked straight into the backyard, where she found me working in the greenhouse. “Oh Mom, look! Dandelions!!!” After she put her backpack in her room, she came back to pick the dandelions and blow their seeds off the stems. But before Sara did that, she made a wish with each flower. I just enjoy the moments, when she still has so much fun with these flowers. Life is still so easy and innocent, right now.
Tomorrow is Spring Equinox. This means, day and night have the same length. In our neighborhood the trees are still in full bloom. Now, many bulb flowers start to show signs of waking up, and soon show their beauty. Down our street blooms a white Iris. In my backyard, a second set of hyacinth just started to show their first flower petals.
Our peach tree looks so pretty, when the first blossoms open in Spring. I never can get enough of these beautiful little pinkish flowers. In February, I’ve pruned the tree a little bit. But I still might have left too many twigs on the tree. Eventually, I’ll figure it out, how much is okay and what is too much. Last year, we had lots of peaches. But they were small. I’ve figured, not pruning it, would cause bearing small fruits. Now, I’ve gotten quite a bit of bloom on the tree, again. Let’s see, how the fruits will turn out. If they are still too small, I need to seek some advise from the local nursery. Since we’ve also had very hot days in the month of July, the tree might need more water last Summer. But I’d rather ask an expert, before I “drown” the tree.
Finally, Kevin and I started my new project. Last week, I purchased the materials. And this afternoon, we’ve put the wooden frame together. But first I had to unlock and separate the greenhouse from its metal frame, before we could place the wood in the same spot. Kevin had some leftover wood blocks, we could use for securing the corners of the base. After the wooden base was done, we could screw the metal frame on the wood and reinstall the greenhouse. The greenhouse is so light, we just picked it up as a whole and moved it around as needed. Kevin and I decided not to put shelves in the greenhouse. We will have raised beds, like we had the first year.
Katelynn helped leveling the ground for the wooden frame. And she cleaning the soil out of the bottom of metal frame. She really enjoyed helping us with the project. Joshua came from the garage into the backyard, He played garden inspector and made sure, we are all doing our jobs well. Best way to keep an eye on all of us, is the view from the tree … or he just got bored and decided to chase the Brown-headed Cowbirds out of the Bradford Pear tree, before they would have pooped on us eventually.